PE & Sport Premium
Sport and PE at Swinnow
PE, sport and physical activity play an integral part in the life of Swinnow Primary School. We ensure that at least two sessions per week are dedicated to physical activity in the curriculum. This is made up of a combination of external coaching and teacher led sessions. This is something we feel is crucial to the physical and emotional development of our pupils.
We believe that physical education, sport and an awareness of healthy lifestyles can hugely impact children’s lives. Through participation in sport they can develop key values such as teamwork, fair play, sportsmanship and respect for themselves and others.
In April 2013, the Government announced new funding (Sport Premium) for physical education (PE), sport and physical activity to improve the quality and breadth of PE and sport provisional School, for three years.
Our allocation for the 2016/17 academic year is £8,895. CLICK HERE to see a full breakdown of how this money is spent.
We are using the Sport Premium to improve the quality of PE and Sport provision in the following ways:
Range of Sports
At Swinnow we pride ourselves on the super range of sports that we offer for our pupils. This year we have been able to offer the following:
- Outdoor adventurous activities
We are been able to offer a range of different extra-curricular activities. This offers pupils the chance to try new activities and learn new skills.
Teachers have the opportunity to watch and learn from highly skilled coaches. This is a direct result of our spending strategy. We will be looking to continue this next year, enhancing further teachers’ skills and confidence. Learning from others is key to progression.
Fit 4 Fun
After a review of pupils accessing sport across the school, a Fit 4 Fun club continued to the offered. Aimed at those pupils who did not participate in regular sporting exercise, it proved to be a big success, not least for the pupils, who were so proud of what they achieved during the sessions.
Thanks to our PE funding, we have been able to transport pupils to different sporting events through the year. A transport budget of £400 helps us to transport pupils to sporting events which they may not otherwise be able to attend.
Specialist Dance Teacher
We employ highly skilled dance teachers who lead curriculum sessions as well as after school clubs.
Specialist Gymnastics Teacher
We employ a highly skilled gymnastic teacher who teach alongside the class teachers to have maximum impact and sustainability.
The following have been the major impacts that we have seen in the last 12 months due to the PE/Sports funding:
- Improved participation of girls in PE and sport. Up from 41% to 63.3%
- Teachers’ confidence in PE.
- Wider range of curriculum opportunities.
- The profile of PE and sport at Swinnow being raised.
- Basic skills are being developed and improved throughout school.
- PE themed class trips for every year in school.
- Links with professional sports clubs.
- Greater participation in inter-school competitions. 66.7% of year 4-6 pupils have represented school.
- On-going partnership with Leeds Rhinos Rugby League Club.
We have identified the following areas which we will target for improvement through the spending of Sports Premium:
- Increased girls participation in inter school competitions.
- Purchasing new PE and sports equipment.
- Continue to offer opportunities for pupils not taking part in extra-curricular activity.
- Increased pupil contribution towards PE and sport at Swinnow.
- Inter school sports opportunities over a range of activities.
We are going to spend our funding in the following way:
- Leeds Rhinos Partnership.
- External sports coaching.
- Coach travel.
- Extra-curricular opportunities.
- Sports equipment.